My first week of TFA training came to an end on Friday in St. Louis. I spent the week at Washington University and it felt a little like my freshman year of college as I stayed in a dorm the whole time. It was quite a week as I learned a significant amount about the problems that currently face St. Louis such as poverty, educational inequities, and segregation. I spent most of the week talking with others about ways we might overcome the challenges that go along with these issues. Along with that, I met a lot of awesome people with whom I will be teaching starting this August. I think every major region of the U.S. is represented among the 104 corps members with the exception of Alaska and Hawaii. There were a lot of activities that also went on so we could get to know each other outside of the discussion sessions which included: a night at St. Louis's famous pub McGurk's, a night eating at a pavilion in Forest Park (followed up by some fantastic karaoke), and we also got a tour of Anheuser-Busch (or as I like to call it, Mordor) which was followed up with some tastings of what they call beer. I was sure to rock my New Belgium shirt on the tour though ;-). At the end of the week I was filled with tons of new information but was extremely exhausted. I was so tired in fact that, for the first time in my life, I actually fell asleep while playing Xbox at Amanda and Brad's house Friday afternoon.
My cousin Josh, his wife Mariabelen, and their daughter Lucia were nice enough to drop me off and pick me up from my training and then even drop me off to catch my bus to Chicago on Saturday. It was my first time ever using a bus as a means of long-distance travel. I rode on a double-decker bus, so naturally I sat on the top part of the bus. It was a little cramped, but I think every one should do it at least once in their life. Plus, it is super cheap (you can get tickets for $1 if you buy them early enough).
I have never in my life felt like a small town kind of kid until I stepped off the bus in the middle of downtown Chicago. This is my first time being in Chi-Town (well except for one time when I was in O'Hare airport, but I don't think that counts) and I am already having a blast. When I got in on Saturday I walked just five blocks to where my friend from high school, Mary Hayes, works. She was kind enough store my bags at her place of work while I explored the city and waited for her to get off of work. I more or less walked this path while I was in Chicago. I bought a sandwich and sat under a tree in the park for lunch. I also sat on the pier for a little while and just looked at all of the boats out on the lake. I was passed by a segway tour which literally made me "lol." After my adventure I headed back to my friend Mary worked and rode the bus to her apartment. She and her roomies were gracious enough to let me crash on their couch for the evening.
Sunday I arrived at the Illinois Institute of Technology where I will spend the next five weeks teaching summer school. I will be teaching U.S. and World History at Julian High School which is on the South side of Chicago. Today was our first day at the school and I was overloaded with information. I will spend this whole week learning how to teach...again. I am very excited to learn more and become a better teacher so it should be fun.
I also just found out that I officially have job! I will be teaching at the Construction Career Center, or "Triple C." It is a charter school just a few miles south of downtown St. Louis and about 2 miles from my and Megan's apartment. The school focuses on providing students with a solid understanding of concepts that would help them succeed in college in the fields engineering, construction, management, and other construction related areas of study. Instead of a gym they have a giant workshop that is super cool. I am excited to tie the schools focus on engineering and construction into teaching about history, geography, or whatever social science I end up teaching.
I am in the works of getting a camera so hopefully soon I can put some actual pictures up of my adventures. Sadly though, I am very far away from Megan and Gizmo, but we Skype about every night and it always brightens my day to see their cute faces!
Luke


Congratulations on getting the job. That is wonderful! Can't wait to see you this weekend.
ReplyDelete