Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life in the Lou' Continues...

So it is official, Megan and I made it through the first half of our semesters!  October was a pretty awesome month overall.  We both had our birthdays, Megan's mom came out to visit, our friend Ona dropped by for a quick visit as well, and the Cardinals won the World Series.

I will quickly say that downtown St. Louis on the night the Cardinals won was insanely awesome!  The city came alive and it was awesome to see so many people downtown, happy, and proud of their city.  I had flashbacks to when my Dad pulled us out of school to go downtown after the Broncos won Super Bowl XXII for the parade.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to find all of my favorite brews from back home, which by the way are sold at the grocery store.


We also went to this really awesome restaurant with Megan's mom called the Bridge.  Their beer list was incredible for two reasons: 1) It was full of fantastic beers, including the best from back home. 2) They don't carry ANY Anheuser-Busch products.

My Octo-beard entertained my students a lot more than I had anticipated.  I don't think a day went by when I didn't receive a comment about it such as: "You look Amish Mr. Finney,""Mr. Finney are you growing your beard out so you can be Wolverine for Halloween?"  But my personal favorite comment came from the test I gave on Friday.  I always have a section on my tests where my students can just tell me whats on their mind, what I can do better on in the class, or tell me what they like/dislike about class.  One of my student's wrote the following:



With Halloween being tomorrow, the staff's theme is super heroes.  Since not a week has gone by where I haven't been called "Peter Parker" or "Spiderman" by my students (or even complete strangers for that matter) I felt it is only appropriate that I dress accordingly:


Gizmo is still being her super-adorable self.


Donors Choose!

In other news, I am trying to get some supplies for my classroom through a donation website called "Donors Choose."  I provide each of my students with a file folder for all of their class work.  I have been storing these folders in cardboard boxes which are quickly falling apart.  I set up a Donors Choose project to get some file folder holders for each one of my classes since the cost of personally buying these folders is pretty steep.  My project is hosted at the following link: http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/1042204.1657302239 for people to come and donate money to it.  I am about $100 dollars away from having my project completely funded and being able to get these resources for my classroom.  If you or anyone you know would like to donate my students and I would greatly appreciate it!


We hope everyone has a great Halloween!

Luke, Megan, and Gizmo

No comments:

Post a Comment